Declutter Your Home Checklist
Decluttering your home can be stressful and time consuming, and nobody wants to get to the end of their skip bin hire and realise they have missed some clutter that should have been discarded of. That’s why we’ve made it easy for you with this declutter your home checklist!
First, we will go through what you can do to make the job easier, before you start cleaning anything. Then, we begin the decluttering checklist to make organising your home simple.
- Give your house a regular tidy-up. It will be much easier to sort through your belongings when everything has been put away and is in its place. Take this opportunity to throw out lingering trash too.
Make sure you have a large amount of cardboard boxes or rubbish bags to store donations, rubbish or any giveaway items.
- Do not buy storage or other items to declutter your home just yet. You will need to declutter and throw out trash before you buy storage otherwise you will end up with more storage items than you need and be back where you started (plus you’ll be tempted to keep items you no longer need or don’t belong in your home).
- Put aside more than one day to declutter your home. If you have a small home you might be able to skip this step but if you try to do more than you’re capable of doing you’ll become frustrated or start feeling overwhelmed, and this may destroy your own motivation to finish the entire job.
- Prioritise. Number each room by difficulty, time and urgency and do those rooms first.
- Set a timer! This avoids you getting distracted by lost findings and keeps you accountable. You can time every room in your home to make a fun game out of it!
Now that you’ve got the ultimate declutter checklist, it’s time to get rid of stuff. Start decluttering!
Our Room-by-Room Declutter Checklist:
- Place a bag or two out for items you wish to donate
- Appliances that no longer work, or get used
- Extra cups and mugs (how many people do you live with, and how many mugs does everyone really need)
- Glassware that is looking old
- Plastic cutlery, cutlery without pairs or cutlery you no longer use
- Extra plates
- Extra pots and pans
- Containers without lids or are unused
- Multiple pairs of scissors
- Bakeware and utensils that you have not used in a long time
- Any spares of things you only need one of
- Extra cleaning rags
- Expired makeup or cheap makeup you do not use
- Medicine cabinet items such as drugs and vitamins that are expired
- Bobby pins that you do not need or do not have a home
- Dried nail polishes or cheap nail polishes
- Colognes and perfumes that you have not used in a while
- Travel shampoos and soap bottles that are empty
- Empty bottles
- Paper clutter or makeup wipes you don’t use
- Excess brushes
- Socks with holes or without pairs
- Extra hangers
- Old shoes
- Jewellery you do not wear
- Too-small or too-large clothes
- Miscellaneous items hidden in your bedside drawers
- Linen you don’t use anymore
- Old pillows
- Children’s toys
- Board games you don’t use anymore
- Stuffed animals the kids never use
Living Rooms, Spare Rooms AND Closets
- Paper clutter (bills, paycheques, receipts, newspapers – most of this can be kept digitally)
- Books you have not read, looked at or you have forgotten about
- Old decorative pillows
- Christmas and birthday cards
- Takeaway menus or UberEats bags
- Candles that are mostly burned up
- Knick knacks
- Old CDs and VHS tapes
- Board games you don’t use anymore
- Cords and cables without appliances
- Half-finished projects
- Old furniture
- Garden tools you don’t use or are broken
- Old party supplies
- Tv boxes or other empty product boxes
- Watering cans
- Buttons and threads (tangled or unused)
- Broken chairs
Declutter your home with Just Skips
Whether you are wanting to live a more minimalist lifestyle, clear out your home in urgency or simply declutter your home, this checklist will ensure your house is in an optimised state. Just Skips are here to help you with all your rubbish removal needs. We provide skip bins for general waste in different sizes, from mini skips to large skip bins. Our skip bin prices start at $250 for 7-day hire. Contact us today for more information on our skip bin hire.